- SA’s Child Gauge 2012 – Suffer the Little Children (Daily Maverick article) – the lived experience of too many South African children is simply unacceptable. But life goes on.
- Servaas van der Berg (my supervisor) takes on Adcorp “Adcorp’s employment and unemployment figures are not taken seriously by researchers – yet they can do much harm” and see Loane Sharp’s reply here (and Wittenberg and Kerr repeat the most important reasons why we shouldn’t take Adcorp’s figures seriously – see here)
- Trevor Manuel and Lindiwe Sisulu crack down (at least on paper) on incompetent and corrupt bureaucrats.
- When Churches act like businesses they shouldn’t be surprised when they get consumers (see here).
- The ABSOLUTELY shocking state of infrastructure in Limpopo schools – pictures tell a thousand words
- Interesting newsletter from “Governing Body Foundation” discussing ANA results and some advice for schools (citing our interview with M&G)
- Bill Easterly brilliant as usual – discussing “The Ideology of Development” from which I draw the quote of the day:
- “The ideology of Development is not only about having experts design your free market for you; it is about having the experts design a comprehensive, technical plan to solve all the problems of the poor. These experts see poverty as a purely technological problem, to be solved by engineering and the natural sciences, ignoring messy social sciences such as economics, politics, and sociology”
Here are the slides for my recent SALDRU presentation titled “An overview of South African schooling: Understanding inequality and underperformance” (15 Feb 2013) – it has some of my more recent research…