This week was the 2018 AEDE conference in Barcelona and Prof Lorraine Dearden gave the keynote address: “Higher Education Funding, Access and Returns: Policy Lessons from England” which was so relevant for South Africa given all the recent decisions about free higher education for poor and working class students. I include some slides from her presentation:
Some other great papers (and abstracts) from the conference:
- “Afraid to go to School?Estimating the Effect of Violence on Schooling Outcomes in Brazil” (Koppensteiner & Menezes, 2018) –> important for the Western Cape context in South Africa.
- “Gender Bias in Standardized Tests: Evidence from a Centralized College Admissions System in Turkey (Saygin, 2018).
- Fundamentally important new Working Paper (May 2018) by Prof Martin Gustafsson on “Understanding the sharp primary level enrolment increases beginning in 2011 in SA” –> My favourite line in the conclusion “It would have been good to have this information earlier as planning and adjusting the schooling system takes time“
- Jeremy Seekings and Nicoli Nattrass’ 2006 book “Class, race and inequality in South Africa” is available online – it’s a great read!
- JPAL Teaching at the Right Level (TARL) Conference – JHB – 26-27 Sept 2018